Looking for a place for a short winter escape from the crowds? Plan a trip to the mountains for a peaceful get-away.
There are still plenty of options to enjoy even in the winter months. Just bring some warmer clothes and experience a unique vacation away from all the city traffic. And most rental rates are much lower than summer rates.
Just some of the things to do include:
- Exploring the scenic Cherohala Skyway with a good chance of seeing some snow accumulation
- Driving the Tail of the Dragon with the road all to yourself (most winter days are still safe)
- Winter hiking in Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest and other wilderness areas
- Amazing photographic opportunities around every corner
- Holiday festivities at Fontana Village which is open year-round
- Plan a day at Asheville’s Biltmore Estate where the Christmas decorations are truly special
- Or ski at Cattaloochee in Maggie Valley with fourteen slopes
- Go antique/gem/craft hunting when discounts are everywhere
- Explore the Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- Spend a day in Gatlinburg for amazing holiday displays
- Golf at several courses that are open year-round with no crowds
- Or just bring a good book and curl-up in front of a fireplace and watch the snow
Our roads remain safe and passable for standard vehicles most days in the winter months. But stay alert for any severe weather that might change conditions. See PLAN YOUR TRIP for links on current road conditions.
- Off season special rates, discounts, and events can be found HERE.
- More information on things to to in the area can be found HERE.